How to Start a Podcast - The Absolute Basics
Podcasts are audio shows and stories that are available on the internet. Podcasts are series of recorded content pieces, usually based around a specific idea, topic, or theme – just like your favorite shows on TV.
They are typically audio recordings of narratives or conversations, either between a host and a guest speaker, or monologues by a single person.
- The Solo Podcast - A solo podcast is often made by podcasters who have expertise they want to share with an audience.
- The Interview Show - An interview show is one of the easiest to do in some respects. As opposed to just you trying to come up with something to talk about, here you can use a different person’s content each week.
- The Panel Show - A host and a number of rotating guests - this brings new outlooks and perspectives to your podcast.
- Conversational/Co-hosted podcast - Essentially this format is a group of people sitting around and having a conversation. If you can find a co-host, or even multiple co-hosts who you can have great chemistry with, your conversational podcast will do wonders.
- Non-Fictional Storytelling - Some examples of this type of podcast include Serial and The Teacher’s Pet. A great Indian podcast of this format is Trial by Error | The Aarushi Files, based around investigating the Aarushi Talwar case.
- Fiction Storytelling -If you are a good writer, fiction storytelling is a great way to create captivating podcasts.
- Repurposed Content - You’ll notice that many video shows, bloggers, vloggers, and content creators will repurpose their shows or existing content into a podcast. This also helps audiences catch up on these shows on-demand whenever they want, or consume the content passively through audio.
- Hybrid - ou can go ahead and mix and match the different formats described above. Maybe you want to have guests on a few episodes, while telling stories and doing a solo show for the rest of the show? Go wild!
One of the first steps before starting your podcast is to figure out the format which you want to create in. Most podcasts are typically in any of the following formats:
Your cover art is the first point of contact with your listeners. We recommend you keep it simple and keep the name of your podcast bold and clear.
There are many different structures your podcast can take, but the most basic structure is: intro - body - outro.
Intro - a short and simple description of you as the host, the podcast and/or episode, giving listeners an idea of who you are and what you’re going to be talking about.
Body - the main portion of your podcast.
Outro - a short summary of the episode, sometimes with a short preview of or promo of the next episode.
Background music: many podcasters choose to have background music during at least the intro and outro sections; a great source for this music is YouTube’s Audio Library - they even have sound effects!
Duration: podcast episodes actually range from being 2-120 minutes long! As a starting point, aim for not more than 15 minutes and go from there. You may find that you have lots more to say, or not so much…
You can simply start recording by clicking here to use the Hubhopper quick record feature. This will use your desktop’s inbuilt microphone. This feature will allow you to create a temporary podcast for the meantime. You will be able to redeem this podcast account, by signing up.
You can simply use your mobile phone to start recording your podcast. Inbuilt microphones in today’s smartphones are able to capture good audio quality. Just ensure you are in a quiet space, away from the noisy neighbours.
- Audio Trimming - https://sodaphonic.com/
- Noise reduction -https://auphonic.com/engine/ , https://twistedwave.com/online
You can simply use these online software to start editing your audio:
If you wish to download a software onto your desktop, we recommend audacity. Kindly download this patch as well to export your audio into a MP3 file. Here is a video tutorial to help you get started with the software.
Once your podcast goes live, you can simply share your podcast link across all other social channels! You can find the share button on the platform itself or simply share the podcast URL.
Do you want quality Videos of your podcast for social promotion purposes, but have no prior knowledge about creative software? Don’t worry, you can use the Audiogram , Wavve or repurpose website to help you create quality videos with very easy and simple steps.
Announce your podcast to the world and share it with all your friends & family!